General Category > Politics

Bizarre Britain.

(1/9) > >>

Chris:
Hot on the heels of terrorism laws being used regularly to spy on people who leave the lids of their garbage bins more than two inches open comes news of yet another oddity in local council regulations.

A man who does 'the right thing' and puts garden waste out for collection and recycling has had his bin marked 'contaminated' because his garden waste was 'contaminated' by... garden waste! Seems not all 'waste' is actually 'waste' and when he collected the windfall apples from under his tree and placed them in the refuse bin he was unaware that they would cause a problem.

According to the bureaucrats in the local council, just because something comes from a garden and is waste is doesn't necessarily qualify as 'waste. In this case they decided that fruit could come from a kitchen and been in contact with uncooked meat, potentially picking up dangerous bacteria.

The quite obvious idiocy in this approach seems to have totally passed them by. This is *earth* we're talking about... the stuff we all live on! There are dangerous bacteria all around! Where do they think cats and dogs empty their bladders and bowels?? Where do birds go to die? What do worms eat etc.??

The sheer petty stupidity of decisions like this is what Britain is being reduced to... people spying on each other and causing problems where no problem exists. I think I'll make this a sticky thread and add to it as more of this regularly occuring stupidity is reported.

Source: Householder stunned after council refuses to empty his garden waste bin... because it had APPLES inside

bambu:
Our 'green' bins here are only supposed to have things like lawn clippings and prunings in them.

'Food' like apples we have to put in the 'household garbage/waste' bin.

If there were one or two apples munched up by a lawnmower nothng much would matter...but trying dumping apples in the 'greee waste' section at any 'transfer station' tip/dump in Sydney...they'll be onto you quick smart, growling at you like very angry people.

Chris:

--- Quote from: bambu on August 30, 2009, 08:16:52 PM ---Our 'green' bins here are only supposed to have things like lawn clippings and prunings in them.

'Food' like apples we have to put in the 'household garbage/waste' bin.

If there were one or two apples munched up by a lawnmower nothng much would matter...but trying dumping apples in the 'greee waste' section at any 'transfer station' tip/dump in Sydney...they'll be onto you quick smart, growling at you like very angry people.

--- End quote ---

I have no idea really where we are *supposed* to put apples etc... we add anything like that to the worm farm or compost heap. I add onion skins to the general waste tho so I suppose they'd go in there.

The 'green bin' is just for general garden refuse but nobody I've heard of has ever been pulled up for adding anything else from a garden... yet!

bambu:
This is Australia mate!...don't think the private contractor in the truck is gonna even worry too much about what's in the bins.

The morning radio host said that he thought bubble wrap was recyclable, and put it in the recycle bin on top...and the garbo left a note saying he couldn't take the recyle bin.

The radio host was not happy as he said "If he was there, and opened the lid and saw the bubble wrap in the wrong bin, why didn't he just take it off the top and put it in the garbage/waste bin right next to it and then empty the recyle bin...'customer service'.

A man rang in and told him..."if he did that you'd never know putting bubble wrap in the recyle bin was a no-no, and keep doing it"!  ;D

They never get out of the truck in my suburb, they always seem to be in a big hurry.

Chris:

--- Quote from: bambu on August 30, 2009, 08:42:04 PM ---They never get out of the truck in my suburb, they always seem to be in a big hurry.
--- End quote ---

On a theme ... here's a little story about changes in the laws surrounding garbage collection in the UK that will see fines for incorrectly placing your garbage bin be judged on the size of your *family*!!

Instead of just the basic $250 fine for the usual heinous crimes such as putting your bin out too early, or taking it in too late, or maybe 'over filling it and leaving the lid a couple of centimetres open etc, *all* adults over the age of 18 who live in the property can be fined.

The sheer idiocy of this can be seen when you compare the fines people get for other offences with those handed out for not obeying the Mini-Hitlers of the local town halls.

For example, hows about clocking up a $1,000 fine for not taking your bin off the pavement fast enough?? If you went shoplifting, your fine (on average) would be around $100. And how about comparing it with the average 'fine' for violent crimes... $500, or for sex offences... $500... or fraud... $500.

These environmental crimes... and they *are* recorded as crimes could actually be used to deny you a Visa to the USA etc! In my opinion... even from this distance... it's getting entirely out of hand.

I often wonder how long it will take before some bureaucratic nitwit over here sees yet another revenue raising scam with which to fleece the general public??

Source: Families charged £500 for leaving wheelie bins out on wrong day

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version