General Category > Politics

Reading the Sydney Morning Herald

(1/1)

Chris:
I post a lot of links to the SMH but they have a monthly limit on how many articles you can read for free and block you once you reach the maximum unless you pay a subscription. There *is* a way around this however!

Basically you open an 'incognito window'!

In the Chrome browser (at least) on the right hand side of the address bar is a 'customize' bar... three black horizontal lines. Click on that an a menu opens. The third option (currently) is an 'incognito' window which effectively hides all cookies from the view of the site you are entering so you can go to the SMH site and open as many articles as you like *without* bumping into their restrictions!

This might not be 100% ethical...especially with Fairfax losing money hand over fist... but for people without the wherewithal to pay the subs it does give you full access to the online news!! :)

Me? I'm just about to go and pay for a years subs... after all I spend a lot of time reading the site and poor Mike Carlton hasn't been paid for months!! :D

P.S. I'll make this a sticky post so it doesn't scroll out of sight.

Bravus:
Yeah, I subscribe even though I live on the Gold Coast, not in Sydney. There's not a paper worth reading in Queensland, and I find the economics and politics coverage in the SMH online well worthwhile.

bambu:
Does he deserve to be paid?

Fairfax media?
No thank you.

The newspapers should be having free online access like they used to...and sorting out the advertising side of it...put ads in every article if necessary.
And, they should be making the online edition exactly the same as the paper edition sold in newsagencies [if they're not sold out halfway thru the day, mustn't be printing many].
Never, ever, ever will I be paying the media moguls for online access to their newspapers.
That's never.

The way I look at it I'm saving them a fortune by their not having to print and deliver paper editions all over Australia...when I log onto my computer.

Chris:

--- Quote from: bambu on June 06, 2014, 04:36:46 PM ---The way I look at it I'm saving them a fortune by their not having to print and deliver paper editions all over Australia...when I log onto my computer.

--- End quote ---

That's all very well but they have massive expenses to cover if they want to run their own reporters, and what self respecting paper would rely solely on some other media's reporting? You might 'save them a fortune' but you're costing them one as well!!

bambu:
They need to get with the online program...or perish.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version